Wednesday, February 11, 2015

TRUCKER PATTI'S ROAD TO "GLEE"

"Transition" is it the title of the episode on the television show "Glee," that we'll be airing Friday, February 13th.  From its first episode, "Glee" has been extraordinary in every sense of the word.  Every teenage issue, from bullying, teen pregnancy, same sex relationships, and leaving the high school to go out into the world, have been addressed.
This episode deals with the female football coach, who revealed in an earlier episode, that she was transgender and would be transitioning from female to male.
I understand transitioning, because I'd transitioned in the late seventies and early eighties culminating in my gender affirming surgery in 1982.  Just like all personal journeys that people experience, everyone's transition is different.  What is consistent in everyone's transition journey, is that it will probably be the biggest challenge one that would face in their life.  Support from one's friends and family is probably the single most factor in how difficult a person's transition can be.
In November of last year, I was driving from my home in Missouri to San Francisco for a sold out screening of the documentary short, "Trucker Patti," of which I am the subject.  While on this trip, I was made aware that the casting director, Kristan Berona, of "Glee," was looking for transgender people for an episode in the final season of the show. Gleek that I am, I immediately got in touch with Kristan and was invited to participate.
I had planned only to go to San Francisco and then drive back to Missouri.  However, after learning the particulars of this episode, I decided to make the several hundred mile detour to go to Los Angeles to participate.  This screening of trucker Patti at the transgender film festival in San Francisco had been sold out (see the review in "Curve" magazine http://www.curvemag.com/Reviews/Trucker-Patti-Delights-at-Sold-Out-Festival-Screenings-262/ by Rachel Pepper) and I was feeling very good on my drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles.
I can only say that the experience of being part of this episode has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life.  As an advocate for transgender and intersex understanding and awareness, I am very grateful to Ryan Murphy, the creator and driving force behind "Glee" and every one involved with the show.  The work that they have done is truly groundbreaking and one of the most courageous things I have ever seen on network television.
Even if you are not a fan of the show, I would urge you to watch this episode, because what takes place is truly life affirming.  I am hoping to talk more about this episode after it has aired and what the experience meant to me personally to be on the "Glee" auditorium stage.  I really hope you will watch.
Love and hugs from tucker Patti!

No comments:

Post a Comment